Monday, September 17, 2007

Updates

For me, the main part of the Compact process is an "exercise in simplicity." Figuring what I really need, thinking about it twice, and finding a way to fulfill it without having to run to the nearest mall, thoughtful consumption in other words. So to be honest with you, my first weekend in the Ramadan Compact did included consumption. I mean I didn't visit any malls or big box stores. And they were used items - a table for my plants (I needed one for a while since my plants were dying from lack of sunlight, this was used via Craigslist) and some kitchen paraphernalia (of course, a real NEED). Just to let you know - I haven't bought anything new yet, other than food :) The challenge is going well...so far.

I've gotten some questions about what you can and can't buy under the Compact. To clarify, exceptions include:
- used or borrowed items
- diapers
- school books since we don't want you to fail out of school (try used first, they're cheaper anyways)
- gasoline: this is a hard one. Driving is one of the most environmentally damaging activities that we undertake on a daily basis. Check back for a more detailed post about the Compact and energy consumption.

Even if you've been consuming more than the basics this Ramadan, it's not to late to sign up. There's still another 3+ weeks left for you to try it out. 9 people have signed up so far.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I ride the bus to work instead of driving my car. To be honest...I do this because it is more convenient for me, but it's green by default. I just worry someone is going to accost me one day, hmm.